11 March 2012

30 years

30 years ago today - 11 Mar 1982 - I started a whole new life.

That was the day I reported in to Recruit Training Command, NTC Great Lakes IL, to begin boot camp: Six weeks of non-fun that would transform me from a civilian into a sailor.

A little over 21 1/2 years later, I transferred to the Fleet Reserve, and in just a few short weeks I will officially retire.

Somehow it just doesn't seem possible that 30 years have gone by already. Some of that time was fun (Scotland, Gibraltar, Slovenia); some wasn't ("Vulcan death watch" drill sets, being racked out for training, weeks at sea after 9/11 wondering when we would get to go home). All in all, I'm a lot older now, and I hope a little wiser.

And yes, I'd do it again.


An old shipmate linked to this video on Facebook a few days ago. It's a nicely done view of what life is like for a submariner (with a little SEAL action at the end).

No comments: