07 January 2017

Book list -- 2016

Adaptation - SF, by Mack Reynolds *
Red November: Inside the Secret US-Soviet Submarine War - military history, by W Craig Reed
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - writing/biography, by Steven King
Death Without Company - mystery (Longmire #2), by Craig Johnson
Ink and Bone - YA AH/fantasy, by Rachel Caine
Hot Rod - YA fiction, by Henry Gregor Felsen *
Death Lights a Candle - mystery (Mayo #2), by Phoebe Atwood Taylor
Lifeboats - YA modern fantasy, by Diane Duane
Keeper of the Castle - mystery, by Juliet Blackwell
Give up the Ghost - mystery, by Juliet Blackwell
In the Drink - mystery, by Allyson K Abbott
Steal the North - YA fiction, by Heather Brittain Bergstrom
Europe Between the Oceans: 9000 BC-AD 1000 - history, by Barry Cunliffe
French Pressed - mystery, by Cleo Coyle
Die Like an Eagle - mystery (Langslow #20), by Donna Andrews
The Highwayman - mystery (Longmire #17), by Craig Johnson
Morning Star - SF, by Pierce Brown
The Great Human Diasporas: The History of Diversity and Evolution - palaeoanthropology, by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza and Francesco Cavalli-Sforza


Only 18 books this time round, two of them rereads (marked by asterisks), though I hadn't actually read Adaptation before; what I'd read was The Rival Rigelians, which I believe was slightly modified from the original version. I've no idea what the changes were - every scene I remembered from TRR was present in the original.


I'd say the best reads of the year were Ink and Bone, Steal the North, and Europe Between the Oceans. (Honourable mention to Morning Star for the twist at the end.) I was given a copy of another of Cunliffe's books, By Steppe, Desert, and Ocean, this past Xmas, and am looking forward to reading it.


I was in 6th or 7th grade when I first read Hot Rod. I've been wanting to reread it for a few years now, but had no idea what the author's name was. I'm sure you can imagine the results one gets when doing a Google search for "hot rod".... Last year I stumbled across it somehow on line, and was happy to see that it was back in print. Bought a copy with my share of the Xmas gift card from my sister-in-law. :)


Once again, wasting way too much time on the computer and not reading enough!

No comments: