01 June 2007

Book list - May 07

Ginger Pye - children's, by Eleanor Estes (Newbery Medal, 1952)
Between Two Fires: American Indians in the Civil War - US history, by Laurence M Hauptman
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - children's, by Mildred D Taylor (Newbery Medal, 1977)
Out of the Dust - children's, by Karen Hesse (Newbery Medal, 1998)
The Retaliators - spy novel, by Donald Hamilton
The Other Nineteenth Century - AH, fantasy and other short stories, by Avram Davidson
The View from Saturday - children's, by E L Konigsburg (Newbery Medal, 1997)
Johnny Tremain - children's historical novel, by Esther Forbes (Newbery Medal, 1944)
All-of-a-Kind Family - children's, by Sydney Taylor
Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze - children's, by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis (Newbery Medal, 1933)
Caddie Woodlawn - children's, by Carol Ryrie Brink (Newbery Medal, 1936)
The Book of Story Beginnings - fantasy, by Kristin Kladstrup
Al Capone Does My Shirts - YA, by Gennifer Choldenko
The Bronze Bow - children's historical novel, by Elizabeth George Spears (Newbery Medal, 1962)
More All-of-a-Kind Family - children's, by Sydney Taylor
Holes - children's, by Louis Sachar (Newbery Medal, 1999)
Half and Half - children's, by Lensey Namioka
The Eye of the Tiger - adventure, by Wilbur Smith
Hell's Gate - fantasy/AH, by David Weber and Linda Evans

19 books this month. Hamilton was the only reread; the other books were all new to me.

I've now read 25 of the 86 Newbery Medal books. Seems I was wrong about having read Ginger Pye before; not a single bit of it, neither characters nor events, seemed familiar when I read it last month. Granted, it's been a good 38 years, plus or minus, since I read the other books by Estes, but if I'd read this one I should have remembered something....