12 December 2010

Victoria Cross: T. Hancock and J. Purcell

THOMAS HANCOCK

Private, 9th Lancers

Born: July 1823, Kensington, West London
Died: 12 March 1871, Westminster Workhouse, London


JOHN PURCELL

Private, 9th Lancers

Born: 1814, Kilcommon, County Galway, Ireland
Died: 19 September 1857, Delhi, India

Joint Citation: "The guns, I am happy to say, were saved, but a waggon of Major Scott's battery was blown up. I must not fail to mention the excellent conduct of a Sowar of the 4th Irregular Cavalry, and two men of the 9th Lancers, Privates Thomas Hancock and John Purcell, who, when my horse was shot down [on 19 June 1857, at the siege of Delhi], remained by me throughout. One of these men and the Sowar offered me their horses, and I was dragged out by the Sowar's horse. Private Hancock was severely wounded, and Private Purcell's horse was killed under him. The Sowar's name is Roopur Khan."
(Extract of a letter from Brigadier J. H. Grant, C.B., Commanding Cavalry Brigade of the Field Force, to the Deputy Assistant-Adjutant General of Division. Dated Camp, Delhi, June 22, 1857.)

[London Gazette issue 22083 dtd 15 Jan 1858, published 15 Jan 1858.]

No comments: