20 February 2009

Ten great post-apocalyptic SF novels

The List Universe offers such a list (with comments*), viz:
1. Alas, Babylon, by Pat Frank
2. Planet of the Apes, by Pierre Boulle
3. I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson
4. The Wild Shore: Three Californias, by Kim Stanley Robinson
5. Eternity Road, by Jack McDevitt
6. The Postman, by David Brin
7. A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M Miller Jr
8. Earth Abides, by George R Stewart
9. On the Beach, by Nevil Shute
10. Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Numbers in bold indicate the ones I've read. I loved both Alas, Babylon and Lucifer's Hammer; Earth Abides, on the other hand, didn't particularly excite me, and while I loved the first section of A Canticle for Leibowitz, I hated the other two.


* And also links to Amazon, for further information.

No comments: