23 February 2010

Top 100 Children's Novels: 55-46

The next two installments (55-51 and 50-46) of Betsy Bird's "Top 100 Children's Novels" list are up at A Fuse #8 Production.

I've read The Wind in the Willows (by Kenneth Grahame, #53 on this list), The Saturdays (Elizabeth Enright, #51), Island of the Blue Dolphins* (Scott O'Dell, #50), Frindle (Andrew Clements, #49), The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits and a Very Interesting Boy (Jeanne Birdsall, #48) and Bud, Not Buddy* (Christopher Paul Curtis, #47).

Eric Carpenter has done another analysis, this time of numbers 100 through 51, at What We Read and What We Think.

Of the bottom fifty on the list:
Three (Swallows and Amazons, The Children of Green Knowe and Henry Huggins) were on my top-ten list;
I've read 22 (possibly 24) others;
I've seen the film version of one I haven't read;
and I'd never heard of seven of them (The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Thief, Love That Dog, My Father's Dragon, Stargirl, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle** and The BFG).







* Newbery Medal winner
** Which I'm reading now

No comments: