11 February 2010

Top 100 Children's Novels: 90-76

Betsy Bird has posted a few more installments (numbers 90-86, 85-81 and 80-76) of her "Top 100 Children's Novels" list over at A Fuse #8 Production.

None of the titles I submitted are in this group, but I've read most of these: Sarah, Plain and Tall* (by Patricia MacLachlan, #90), The High King* (Lloyd Alexander, #88), The View from Saturday* (E L Konigsburg, #87), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J K Rowling, #86), The Little White Horse** (Elizabeth Goudge, #84), The Book of Three (Lloyd Alexander, #82), The Graveyard Book* (Neil Gaiman, #80), All-of-a-Kind Family (Sydney Taylor, #79), Johnny Tremain* (Esther Forbes, #78) and Out of the Dust* (Karen Hesse, #76).

As we continue, I expect to see: The rest of the Harry Potter, Little House and Prydain books; most of the other Newbery winners (and maybe some more Carnegie winners); more books by Beverly Cleary; and books by Hugh Lofting, Edward Eager, C S Lewis, E Nesbit, Lucy Maud Montgomery and E B White.

And while I'm thinking about it, I can't believe I didn't include The Invisible Island, by Dean Marshall, on my list....

Update 0941 16 Feb 10: Of the bottom 25 on the list:
Two (Swallows and Amazons and The Children of Green Knowe) were on my top-ten list;
I've read twelve others;
I've seen the film version of one I haven't read;
and I'd never heard of two of them (The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and The Thief).





* Newbery Medal winner
** Carnegie Medal winner

1 comment:

SchrefflerFamily said...

I am being surprised how many titles on this list I've never even heard of!