12 April 2010

Top 100 Children's Novels: 2-1

Number 2:
A Wrinkle in Time,
by Madeleine L'Engle.


This, as I recall, was one of the books I bought back around 4th grade from those Scholastic flyers that came to our school each year. (A great deal; my younger daughter's middle school just had a Scholastic book fair a couple weeks ago.) As I recall, I enjoyed it at the time, but when I tried rereading it again four or five years ago I couldn't force myself to finish it. Last year, though, I did reread it as part of my Newbery programme (it was the 1963 winner), and then went on to read the first few sequels.





Number 1:
Charlotte's Web,
by E B White.


I know I read this back around first grade, but my brain is fried from getting up much too early this morning (to take my wife to hospital), so I can't really think of anything to say right now.

But I haven't seen the film version of either of these two books.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Have to love the Wrinkle in time series. I read those in 3rd grade when I was stuck home with chicken pox! good times.
If you are feeling Cantankerous and would like to post on our blog head on over to http://cantankerousoldcoots.com.
You have some great stuff here. And thank you for your service, my father was stationed aboard the USS Puffer SSN-652 in the early 70's so I grew up with sub stories. My grandfather was on the USS Seawolf in the 40's.
Glad to have found your blog!
-justin