14 October 2006

Top ten read-agains


Top ten whats?

The subject came up on a Yahoo! group the other day - the ten books (or groups of books) the poster most liked to reread again and again. I'd only read two of the books on his list, and I thought one of those two wasn't worth reading in the first place, let alone rereading.

So after a little consideration, I came up with my own list. My Top Ten Read-Agains would (in no particular order) be:
  • Tarzan of the Apes - the original, by Edgar Rice Burroughs (It's still probably the one book I've read more times than any other.)

  • Island in the Sea of Time and Dies the Fire - two connected AH trilogies by S M Stirling (Counting all six books as one. I reviewed the DtF trilogy here - and he's already started on a sequel trilogy.)

  • Swallows and Amazons - children's books by Arthur Ransome (Counting all twelve books as one. I reviewed them here, here and here.)

  • the Falkenberg series - military SF, by Jerry Pournelle

  • Against the Fall of Night - the classic AH story by L Sprague de Camp

  • Star Rangers/The Last Planet (alternate titles for the same book) - SF by Andre Norton

  • Beyond Thirty/The Lost Continent (alternate titles for the same book) - SF by Edgar Rice Burroughs

  • Starship Troopers - military SF by Robert A Heinlein (Bears almost no resemblance to the movie.)

  • The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress - SF by Robert A Heinlein

  • Tunnel in the Sky - more SF by Robert A Heinlein

Other books that I considered, but which didn't make the cut for the top ten, include the Green Knowe series by Lucy M Boston, the Richard Bolitho series by "Alexander Kent" and the Hammer's Slammers series by David Drake.

2 comments:

reddog said...

Edgar Rice Burroughs is in a class all by himself. The only guys that come close are Max Brand and Dashiell Hammett, real pulp writers.

L Sprague DeCamp, my favorite, The Ishtar Gate.

What? No Dune? No Foundation Trilogy?

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

I stalled out somewhere around the middle of the second Foundation book. Someday I'll get around to trying it again. Really. I will. (Actually, I like Asimov's non-fiction better than I do his fiction.)

As for Dune, I bought the first three books back around 1980. I still haven't gotten around to reading them....