18 March 2010

Top 100 Children's Novels: 19-18



I'm pretty sure this is the only book by Roald Dahl I've read, though I have a vague feeling that I might have read its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, thirty-odd years ago. I've also seen the first (1971) film version, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, though not the recent (2005) remake. (I'd always thought the movie was renamed because Gene Wilder wanted top billing in the title as well as in the credits, but apparently it was because Quaker Oats wanted to start marketing candy under the Wonka label.)



Number 18:
Matilda,
by Roald Dahl.


Dahl again, for the fifth time* on the list! I do remember seeing trailers for the film version (1996) of this one, and thinking it looked like it might be worth seeing, but never got around to it.


* The other three were The Witches (# 96), The BFG (# 54) and James and the Giant Peach (# 33).

No comments: